Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Masking Tutorial

Hi again! (This is my second post for the day. To read more, please scroll down or click here. :)

During the Waltzingmouse Stamps New Release blog hop that we held last week, a number of you left comments about masking. Some of you have never tried it or maybe were a little apprehensive, but I want to show you just how easy it is.

The theory behind masking is that you use a mask (I often use a post-it note) to create layers of images without overlapping. In the case of the daffodil card that I made, I wanted to create the illusion that the flowers on the left and right sides were growing behind those in the center. Make sense? Here's the image again.


I'm going to take you step-by-step through the process and show you just how easy it is. You can click any of these pictures for a larger version.

1. We are going to start with our first image - this is the one that we want to be front and center. All the other images we stamp will appear to be behind this one.

2. Next, stamp your image again onto a post-it note or other masking medium. If you're using a post-it note, make sure you stamp at least part of your image onto the adhesive part, sticky side down. (Eclipse Tape is another popular option for masking).

3. Cut out your mask. I didn't cut out the whole thing, because I knew I was only going to be overlapping the leaves on the left and right sides. Place your mask over top of your stamped image.

4. Stamp your next image.

5. This is what it will look like after you've stamped your image and removed the mask. See how it looks like the second image is behind the first?

6. Replace your mask and stamp your next image, this time on the left.

7. Remove your mask, and voila! Your daffodils are layered without the images overlapping. Easy peasy, no?

If you're looking for some more information about masking, Claire also shared a tutorial during the countdown here.

I hope this information was helpful to those of you that have been a little nervous about trying this technique! If you are feeling inspired, I would *love* for you to share your creations with me! Please leave me a comment or a link to your blog or galley and share what you've come up with!

And please, your feedback is always appreciated! If you ever have questions or need clarification, don't hesitate to ask!

Have a great day everyone!

#Anya

4 comments:

  1. Anya, you totally rock! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I'm so excited to try it (and my new basket set is winging it's way to me as I type, I'm sure!) Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tutorial!! I've often wondered how to do this and your step by step is great. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ace tutorial!!! very clearly demonstrated!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial Anya! I find Claires stamps very easy to mask. I have been having fun putting chicks and eggs in the new spring basket.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love to hear from you!